Sunday, March 4, 2012

Best Acts You Never Heard: Pour Habit

Considering that my favorite new song of 2012 was from Pour Habit, I figured I better talk about the band a little. 

I first saw Pour Habit as a warm-up act for the Bad Religion/NOFX double bill tour in 2009 where they blew NOFX away and held their own against BR, the Grandaddies of modern Punk Rock. Despite the fact that these guys had essentially no presence in Australia at the time, the crowd loved them; although it probably helped that Chuck Green lived up to his name during "Against Me": 


Yes, that's actual footage from that night, I was there and it kicked arse. A bit later I picked up their first album, Suiticide (2008) and have been a fan ever since. 

PH clearly have a metal influence, using a double-kick drum and complex guitar riffs in a lot of their work, as evidenced in the following song from their 2011 album, Got Your Back: 


Pour Habit has attracted a lot of anger from Metalheads because of their use of these techniques, which I find endlessly funny. It is, of course, impossible and ridiculous for one genre of music to lay claim to a technique that anyone is physically capable of using. 

Lyrically, Pour Habit isn't overly different from Bad Religion or NOFX, firing off rapid, politically-charged rants in short bursts and relying on pretty basic rhythmic structures. Still, Pour Habit is probably the best new Punk band to hit it big in the past few years, their live gigs are highly energetic and well worth checking out. 

Take away my right to live and I will choose to fight! - Hat Guy 

No comments:

Post a Comment